Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield are two of the most iconic heavyweights of all-time. The pair had a fierce rivalry as competitors, fighting twice, with ‘Iron Mike’ dropping both matches. That includes his disqualification for biting off a chunk of Holyfield’s ear. However, they’re friends today.
But speculation is rife that they will fight in a trilogy match for charity. This should be insane because Tyson is 53 and Holyfield is 57. As you can see below, the two men are in phenomenal condition. They’re training for something and at the same time, so does it mean what we think it does?
While we should be worried about these two warriors putting their gloves back on, it’s extremely exciting. Tyson, especially, still holds a mystique. Now, Bareknuckle FC President Dave Feldman reveals that he has offered a contract to both men if they want to do it without gloves.
Are you ready? The moment you've all been waiting for…
The Champ is back! ? I'd like to announce that I will be making a comeback to the ring. I will be fighting in exhibition matches for a great cause: #Unite4OurFight. Learn more: https://t.co/dfSo0HvV2O pic.twitter.com/8PfrzalHty
— Evander Holyfield (@holyfield) May 6, 2020
As you can see from the clip above, Holyfield is in unbelievable condition. He says that he’s coming back to fight for charity. In sum, the clip shows him putting in an obscene workout for his age. Holyfield is the only undisputed two-weight champion in the history of boxing.
“Are you ready? The moment you’ve all been waiting for… the champ is back!” Holyfield wrote on Twitter. “I’d like to announce that I will be making a comeback to the ring. I will be fighting in exhibition matches for a great cause.”
Dave Feldman is the President of Bareknuckle FC. The bare-knuckle boxing promotion is very good at finding washed-up MMA fighters and getting them to risk brain damage for a paycheck in a grubby venue. Their most high-profile fighter so far was former WBO and WBA champion Paulie Malignaggi. But they’re trying to exploit any situation.
“While we did make a guaranteed offer of $20 million for Mike [Tyson] to fight for BKFC, we’re open to many different options as to how we can work together,” Feldman told Heavy.com. “Obviously, the excitement of seeing Mike’s video showing himself training and desire to participate in exhibitions inspired us to reach out and make the offer.”
You can see the clip of Tyson throwing hands above. He looks as sharp as a razor. To sum up, the weed farmer is still scarier than any heavyweight out there today. If you found him in bed with your wife, you’d tuck him in and bring him a cup of coffee in the morning.
While there is almost no chance in the world that they fight bare-knuckle, they do look like they’re going to box again. We’ve seen aged fighters return before. In MMA, Chuck Liddell is the most high-profile example. But that was very sad to watch because he just shouldn’t have been in that situation.
Meanwhile, UK boxing legend Nigel Benn had a boxing license denied because of concerns over his age and the length of time out of the ring last year. Will these two warriors face the same problems? Who would you like to see them box if not each other?