Canelo Alvarez vs ‘GGG’ Golovkin Falls Victim to Drug Test Failure…
It’s officially off. Boxing fans will be crushed to learn Canelo Alvarez will not be fighting Gennady Golovkin in May. The fight has been officially scrapped after Alvarez failed a drug test, testing positive for a banned substance. They were meant to face each other on May 5 -Cinco de Mayo in Mexico – in a rematch of their earlier fight.
Their entire match-up has been tinged with controversy. In their initial meeting in Las Vegas last year, a draw was the final result. This was despite most onlookers giving the result to Golovkin. Controversial judge Adelaide Byrd’s scorecard was most notorious, with her scorecard heavily in favor of Alvarez.
They were set to do it all over again. Alvarez, managed by Oscar de la Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions was given a reprieve and the opportunity to learn from his defeat. However, after coming up positive for clenbuterol, it’s all over and done with.
The decision was officially announced by Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy Promotions. He announced that the fight could not go ahead because it is unlikely that Alvarez will have been cleared by May. He said:
“We’re going to have to cancel the May 5 rematch. As you all know there is a hearing on 18 April and it’s extremely unlikely this will get resolved by then properly and we need enough time to promote this fight.”
There is some hope then that this fight will be booked again in the future. The pair is the most exciting middleweights in the world right now. If Alvarez complies with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, they could be back on track within a year.
Alvarez maintains his innocence. Clenbuterol has been found in meat in countries including his native Mexico where he trains. It’s used by meat producers to bulk up stock, with similar effects for bodybuilders. Canelo said:
“I am truly shocked about what has happened and for those who have doubts and suspicions about my integrity, I have always been and always will be a clean fighter.”
That may be true but first, he’ll have to go through a hearing with a ban of nine to twenty-four months possible, if he’s deemed to have committed a deliberate offense.
Needless to say, Golovkin is not impressed. This has cost him a major payday. However, he still plans to fight on the same date and is searching for a viable opponent. He has made his feelings clear about the alleged meat contaminations already.
“I told you, it’s not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion. Canelo is cheating. They’re using these drugs and everybody is trying to pretend it’s not happening.”
Strong words from an understandably upset fighter. It’s unfortunate for fans that a brilliant fight has been put off for the foreseeable future. However, in better news, Deontay Wilder will take on Anthony Joshua later this year for the unified heavyweight championship. So at least there is that to look forward to.