bodies of water near forest and mountain under cloudy sky at daytime

International students can get higher education in Canada after graduating from high school. To do this, they need to choose a Canadian college or university. Collect a package of documents and submit an application form for consideration by the admissions committee. The process of admission to higher education institutions in Canada is simple. But there are important nuances that are worth remembering.

Each university or college in Canada sets its admission requirements for international students. To study at a Canadian university or college, international students must receive a secondary education (certificate) and learn English. It happens that the certificate is not enough for admission. In this case, we recommend taking the University Pathway Course or getting a secondary education in Canada. Students can use any time they need to complete the admission writing assignment.

Are you planning to study in Canada? 

Call the educational agency office and arrange a personal meeting with an academic consultant. We will make an individual admission plan for you and select a university.

Study options in Canada for school graduates

Students who have received a certificate of secondary education can study in Canada in educational institutions of various types. Higher education in Canada gives you the opportunity to choose a variety of programs and diplomas.

Let’s study in detail what options for studying in Canada are available to graduates of international schools:

  • Students can study at Colleges, Universities, and Technical Institutes in Canada. It is important to understand the difference between these educational institutions.
  • Students can get a Diploma, Certificate, or a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. It is important to know the types of diplomas and certificates of Canada.
  • Students can start their studies at one higher education institution in Canada and transfer to another.

Who needs preparatory programs?

Before choosing an educational institution, make an appointment for a consultation with an educational specialist for higher education in Canada. This will help you correctly determine the path to obtaining a Canadian higher education and not miss important details: entrance requirements, enrollment features, etc. So, many students believe that they can enter the university for a bachelor’s program immediately after the 11th grade. Yes, this is possible if you are going to a College or a Technical Institute in Canada. This is not possible if you want to get a bachelor’s degree at a university. Especially if you want to study medicine, engineering, or applied sciences in Canada.

Individual consultation with an academic consultant will help you determine the university that suits your needs.

The requirements of Canadian universities for applicants are much higher than the requirements of colleges. It is also important to understand that a student must be ready to study at a Canadian university on an academic and psychological level.

A semester at universities and colleges in Canada lasts about 4 months. The academic year is divided into several parts:

  • First semester: September – mid-December
  • Holidays: mid-December-early January
  • Second semester: early January-early May
  • Summer vacation (or summer semester): May-September

To choose a college and university, as well as a study program in Canada, we recommend taking into account the start dates of the course. Some colleges such as … offer to start studying 2 times a year. But some programs start only in September. You can find out the exact start date of the training from the educational consultant or check the schedule of the universities on their websites.

When should I start the process of enrolling in universities and colleges in Canada?

We recommend that you start enrolling in a university or college in Canada from September of this year, at least 8 months before the start of your studies. Universities set specific dates before which the admissions committee will accept your documents for enrollment. You can find out these dates at an individual consultation with a university/college representative.

Many colleges and technical institutes do not set deadlines for submitting documents. They accept documents as they fill out places on the program.

Traditional and professional higher education in Canada

Most students choose a traditional higher education in Canada. They enroll in a college or university for a bachelor’s degree program. The duration of such a program is 3-4 years. After receiving the degree, students continue their studies in the master’s program (1-2 years) or work.

This model of higher education in Canada is the most common among Canadian and international students. But, today, colleges in Canada offer additional options for obtaining professional education. These are professional certificates (1 year of training) and diplomas (2 years of training).

Vocational education gives you the opportunity to get a profession in the shortest possible time and work in Canada according to your degree specialization. Why do students choose to get diplomas or certificates at colleges in Canada:

  • The cost of training is lower than at the university
  • You can study and work while studying (Co-op training at colleges in Canada)
  • Certificates and diplomas of Canada give you the opportunity to get a Post-Graduation Work Permit for 1 or 2 years

Especially the Certificate and Diploma programs will go to those school graduates who want to get practical skills and concentrate only on studying subjects related to the future career.

Studying at colleges in Canada allows students to save money on higher education. So, for the first two years, a student can study at a college, get a diploma. After that, transfer to a university and get a bachelor’s degree.


The Canadian education system is flexible. In our opinion, it is ideal for international students. You can enroll in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program after graduating from school in your home country. You can choose the path of professional training and combine work with study. Canada is ideal for lower-income students. Even though education in Canada is paid for all international students, the cost of training is much lower than in other countries. If you still have some questions, you can contact representatives of specific universities.

Previous articleTony Ferguson’s career is now going DOWNHILL
Next articleAnderson Silva knocks Tito Ortiz out COLD