Another UFC champion wants to move weight classes…
Tyron Woodley announced on Fox Sports that his next bout will not be at 170lbs. The current UFC welterweight champion has been searching for a money-fight ever since defeating Robbie Lawler at UFC 201 last summer and apparently he doesn’t see it happening in his current division.
While Woodley has his haters, he has also been the most active champion the company has seen in a long time. Woodley stepped into the cage to defend his title three times within 365 day period from July 2016 to July 2017, a far cry from how often many champions defend their belts.
The welterweight champion fought Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson to a draw at UFC 201 in his first title defense. He then defeated Wonderboy in a rather un-entertaining bout at UFC 209. At UFC 214, Woodley put in his best performance as champion to date when he soundly defeated Damian Maia. He might not always be entertaining, but Tyron Woodley is a fighting champion. Now, according to Woodley, it’s time for him to move up to a new challenge.
Now, according to Woodley, it’s time for him to move up to a new challenge.
Colby Covington vs. Tyron Woodley
News that Woodley does not plan to stay at welterweight will be viewed harshly by the recently popular ATT fighter, Colby Covington. Following his own victory over Damian Maia last month, Covington’s post-fight comments about the Brazilian fans went viral. He also called out Woodley.
Regarding Woodley’s lack of interest in fighting him, Covington had this to say earlier this week:
“Man, the guy is making all these excuses,” Covington said. “He doesn’t want to tell the world the real reason he doesn’t want to fight me. The real reason Tyron Woodley doesn’t want to fight me is because the last time we were in the gym together, I broke him. And I’ll do the same thing in front of the world when we fight for that welterweight champions, Tyron Woodley.”
“January makes sense, you know. They’re doing a UFC in St Louis, his hometown, so let’s see if he can defend the home turf.”
Who’s Earned a Welterweight Title Shot?
The UFC welterweight division is a tough one to decipher. Stephen Thompson’s presence in the #1 ranking doesn’t help any either. Considering he’s already had two cracks at the champion, and the last bout was not well-received, Wonderboy could be waiting a long time before getting opportunity #3.
Former champion, Robbie Lawler, takes on the former lightweight champion, Raphael Dos Anjos, in December. It’s possible the winner of that bout could get the next shot. Covington does have a strong case for a shot as well though, considering he’s ranked #3 and Woodley has defeated #1, 2, and 4 (Thompson, Lawler, and Maia).
Then there is arguably the greatest welterweight champion of all time, Georges St. Pierre…
Listen to Woodley challenge GSP in the Tweet below:
Who should GSP fight next? Tyron says he'll go up to 185. Should he? DC and Kenny weigh in! https://t.co/Hy00Xb5t0U
— FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) November 9, 2017
Woodley is Coming for Georges St. Pierre
It sounds like Tyron Woodley could not care less who in the welterweight division has earned a title shot. Woodley wants GSP, the same man he called out for a fight after winning the title last year.
He’s not waiting for GSP to drop back down to 170lbs, however, he’s going to go up in weight and meet him at 185lbs.