After beating Conor McGregor in a wild fight at UFC 196, Nate Diaz became a superstar. Already enjoying a fairly large cult following before March 5, Diaz broke through on to the mainstream with his upset victory.
Following on from UFC 196, Diaz was booked in an immediate rematch with McGregor. During the period between March 5 and UFC 202 in August, Nate made some rather interesting comments about the UFC.
From what Diaz said after UFC 196, it seemed the UFC was not keen on promoting him. Remember that both Nate and Nick Diaz had been through contract disputes with the UFC in the past.
Now that he was in the limelight, Diaz claimed the UFC was desperate to ‘get him out of there.’ After McGregor defeated Diaz by split decision in the rematch, the Stockton brawler was refused a trilogy fight. It seems the cold shoulder did not end there, either.
According to Diaz, during his recent interview with SportsCenter, he was refused tickets to watch McGregor fight Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 in New York City:
“They Want To Hide Me Away!”
“They want to hide me out, I think. Put him on more of a pedestal than they have already. It’s whatever though.”
“People question me, ‘Hey, when you gonna fight No. 3?’” Diaz said. “I know that everybody needs to see that. If I’m gonna do something, that’s what I’m gonna do — but I’m not begging for it. If anybody should be asking for the fight, it should be him. He’s the one that has something to prove.
“Congratulations to Conor. He did a great job, got the two belts — but I just know that me and him both know what happened in [our] fights and that ‘greatest of all time’ stuff needs to just come to an end. I don’t remember any of the greatest of all times getting worked over like [he was] in the last two fights.”