REPORT: Conor McGregor Under Investigation for Alleged Sexual Assault

By Dazzler

The Notorious Could be in for a Whole New World of Trouble After Being Linked to an Alleged Sexual Assault in Dublin…

Conor McGregor might be officially retired according to Dana White and his twitter, but the Irishman just can’t keep out of the headlines. While he’s been officially involved in three lawsuits since 2016, another one could be on the way – and this could tarnish his legacy and reputation forever.

The former lightweight and featherweight champion announced his retirement yesterday on Twitter, stunning the world with the suddenness of the statement. Many fans believe that it’s just a negotiation ploy to enhance his bargaining power with the UFC.

However, a media embargo has finally been lifted and McGregor has been officially linked to an alleged sexual assault that took place in Dublin back in January. This story has been high-profile in Ireland, who reported a famous sportsperson is being investigated, with no name released until today by the New York Times.

Mandatory Credit: USA TODAY Sports.

Denial

According to the New York Times, McGregor was arrested on January 17 in relation to the alleged sexual assault. The alleged victim is claiming that it took place in Dublin’s Beacon Hotel, a venue that he is known to frequent. It was also around the time of the birth of his daughter Croia.

On Tuesday, Karen Kessler, a spokesperson for McGregor’s legal team spoke to ESPN :

“This story has been circulating for some time and it is unclear why it is being reported now,” Kessler said. “The assumption that the Conor retirement announcement today is related to this rumour is absolutely false. Should Conor fight in the future it must be in an environment where fighters are respected for their value, their skill, their hard work and their dedication to the sport.”

Mandatory Credit: USA TODAY Sports.

Speculation

Despite rumours circulating for the last couple of months on social media, no story has broken in professional media circles until yesterday because of laws in Ireland preventing the reporting of names connected with sexual assault unless they are convicted.

McGregor is, of course, only an alleged attacker and UFC fans will be hoping that the allegations are not true because it will irreparably damage the brand. Only time will tell whether or not the reports are accurate.

He has not been charged so far and it’s believed that the alleged victim has yet to file an official statement. The Irishman could also be facing a paternity test after another woman claimed that he fathered her child. A penny for Dee Devlin’s thoughts.

Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Retirement

The other thing that fans are set to discover is whether or not he is actually retired. While some believe that he’s just messing with the UFC, others think he might actually be done with the sport for good. He told the Jimmy Fallon Show:

“I am set for life, my family is set for life,” he said. “I’ve done a lot, I’ve fought a lot. I’ve never pulled out of contests. I’ve gone through some crazy injuries, some crazy external situations that many a man would sprint for the hills if it happened to them. But I stood firm and done my piece for the company. Like I said, this whiskey is my baby. I have a lot of great entities. I don’t necessarily need to fight.”