REPORT: Conor McGregor Wants Nate if Anderson Silva Fights Nick Diaz

By Dazzler

Conor McGregor Has Been Busy Today… After Very Respectfully Telling Anderson Silva it Would be an Honour to Fight Him, He’s Now Said He Would Fight Nate Diaz on the Same Card as the Brazilian’s Potential Retirement Fight Against Nick…

You could argue that 43-year-old Anderson Silva came out of his fight against Israel Adesanya as the biggest winner. Sure, the younger man got the decision, and it was deserved, but Silva rolled back the years with a performance that belayed his years and reminded fans of just how good he was in his prime.

It was an emotional event with very high-level striking. The worst thing about it was that we only got three rounds on what was a bleak card in Melbourne. It’s lucky that the main event delivered. Many expected Silva to announce his retirement in Australia, but he’s said he wants to fight one last time in his home town of Curitiba, Brazil.

He called out Nick Diaz and it didn’t take long for Conor McGregor to get involved. The Notorious asked to fight Nate on the same card. Now wouldn’t this be a special event?

Makes Sense

Silva fought Nick Diaz back in 2015 at middleweight. He got the decision victory. However, after he tested positive for PED use and Nick was cited when marijuana was found in his system, the result was overturned to a no-contest. Now Silva wants to roll this one back and do it all again. He told assembled media at the post-fight press conference:

“I think it makes sense for me and Nick to fight in Curitiba.”

Yes, please. Nick, we don’t care how retired you are. This is the card.

Jan 31, 2015; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Anderson Silva (red gloves) and Nick Diaz (blue gloves) fight during their middleweight bout during UFC 183 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports.

Exciting

Sorry ‘Cowboy,’ but this is bigger than you. This is the way to reignite the McGregor v Diaz rivalry. The pair famously fought twice, Diaz stunning the world when he submitted the Irishman in their first meeting. Their second clash was voted the greatest UFC fight of all time by fans in 2018 (even if it’s clearly Robbie Lawlor v Rory MacDonald). McGregor tweeted:

“Book it. I’ll fight Nate on it.” 

The UFC fanbase erupted after seeing this and who can blame them? It makes sense on so many levels. Anderson Silva, Conor McGregor and the Diaz brothers on the same card? Just get Georges St. Pierre back and we’re all there.

Mandatory Credit: USA TODAY Sports.

Rivalry

At the time of writing, Nate Diaz had yet to comment. However, he’s been out of action since 2016, waiting for this to come his way so you can bet he’ll have something to say about it. Last week it was reported that the Diaz brothers had effectively retired from fighting, but if the right amount of money comes their way, then you can bet they’ll be back.

Meanwhile, John Kavanagh, McGregor’s head coach, has said in the past that the Diaz trilogy fight would be his perfect comeback for his prized pupil. It remains to be seen what will happen, but things just got very interesting.