Khabib Nurmagamedov’s Manager Ali Abdelaziz Launches Online Assault on Conor McGregor, After Tony Ferguson Withdrawal…
The MMA world is currently in shock after Tony Ferguson vs Khabib Nurmagamedov was canceled for an incredible fourth time. The pair were due to fight in the main event of UFC 223, for the lightweight title, on April 7.
Ferguson tore his LCL and will require surgery to get back in fighting shape. The UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway will replace Ferguson and get the chance to become only the second man to hold two UFC titles at the same time. It’s a massive opportunity for the young man, but frustrating for MMA fans who really wanted this fight to go down.
Of course, another name is looming over this fight. Conor McGregor is the man who will be stripped as soon as we get a result in this fight. He’s also the likely next opponent for the winner of the lightweight title. Team Khabib quickly targeted the Irishman on Twitter, demanding him to come back and finally defend his title.
Ali Abdelaziz is the main man behind Team Khabib’s online assault on McGregor. The outspoken figure, who leads Dominance MMA Management, also has Frankie Edgar in this stable. There’s bad blood between him and McGregor’s side after the Irishman claimed he was ready to jump in and save UFC 222 when Holloway withdrew.
Abdelaziz was not impressed with this claim and launched an impassioned defense of Edgar’s legacy as a true fighter compared to McGregor just being in it for the money. He took Ferguson’s injury as an opportunity to have another dig at ‘The Notorious,’ writing:
“The @TheNotoriousMMA says Stay ready but when I asked @danawhite where is he at, he said he’s in Syria on vacation and his phone has no signal.”
— Ali Abdelaziz (@AliAbdelaziz00) April 2, 2018
Nurmagamedov also directed his frustrations at the MMA world’s favorite/most hated Irishman. Naturally, he’s frustrated that after four times being booked to fight Ferguson, it’s fallen through again. He wrote:
“Where are you now? @TheNotoriousMMA”
So far McGregor has stayed silent about this crazy cancellation, but you can bet that he’ll have something to say about it soon. One thing is certain: ‘The Notorious’ is not shy when it comes to giving his opinion.
Where are you now? @TheNotoriousMMA
— khabib nurmagomedov (@TeamKhabib) April 1, 2018
Never an Option
However, according to UFC President Dana White, McGregor was never an option to come in and replace the unfortunate Ferguson. According to White, six days is just too short for McGregor to make the weight cut to lightweight, which in fairness is probably true.
“That’s a tough weight cut for him,” White said. “And Conor is not the guy I want to throw in as a late replacement fighter. He’s a guy I want to make a fight with and have the right amount of time to promote the fight. I think Conor could return in September, and it could be against one of these guys.”
The UFC can’t be blamed for wanting to milk their cash cow. Now that Holloway is replacing Ferguson, it’s arguably creating an even better scenario for the company because if ‘Blessed’ wins, it makes a rematch between him and McGregor all the more tantalizing. As for Nurmagamedov, he will just go out, do his thing, and strike fear into all our hearts.