Dana White Responds to Nate Diaz Saying He’s Leaving The UFC

Popular UFC star Nate Diaz recently created a stir when he announced his departure from the world of MMA. UFC president Dana White has now responded to the many questions that have been asked since…

When Nate Diaz stepped in to face Conor McGregor at UFC 196, few people gave him a chance at winning. Coming in on just 12 days notice, Diaz provided one half of perhaps the most epic rivalry in MMA history.

Unlike the usual drawn-out hype period, McGregor vs. Diaz had less than a fortnight to whip up big interest. Considering how naturally entertaining both men are, it was no surprise they were able to cook up a storm.

What was surprising to many, aside from Diaz, was the per4formance the Stockton native put on. After eating all the Irishman’s shots early on, a rampant Diaz choked out McGregor for one of the most iconic wins in UFC history.

March 5, 2016; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Nate Diaz (top) against Conor McGregor during UFC 196 at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

UFC 202 & Market Value

The rematch was equally as thrilling, a close five-round war at UFC 202. This time it was McGregor who won, albeit narrowly, and so began a standoff between Diaz and the promotion.

Claiming he wouldn’t return for anything but a $20 million rematch against his Irish rival, the younger Diaz bro hasn’t fought since. Then, after reportedly refusing title fights at multiple weights, Diaz announced he was going to boxing:

Dana White Has Since Responded

Having previously claimed Diaz was ‘worth nothing without McGregor,’ UFC president Dana White has been put on the spot by this recent announcement. Will the promotion pay what Diaz is asking?

Clearly, their offer for him to fight Tyron Woodley for the welterweight title was not lucrative enough. Now that he has an eye on the boxing world, will Diaz get that big paycheck he’s been pining for?

White didn’t confirm the money side of things, but he did say Diaz wouldn’t be boxing anyone:

And What About McGregor’s Future?

Since handling Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205, McGregor has gone 13 months without defending the lightweight title. With stacks of contenders in the 155-pound division, the Irish star is allowing the title to collect dust.

During a recent interview, ‘The Notorious’ said fighters must ‘lobby’ to get a scrap with him:

β€œMy focus is getting back into the right ring or Octagon,” McGregor said. β€œ2017 was historic. I have transcended both the sport of MMA and boxing. At this stage of my career, as it has been for the majority of my UFC career, potential opponents must lobby for fights with me. We could see Conor McGregor anywhere. I run the fight game, the fashion game, the whiskey game, or whatever the next business endeavor might be.”

β€œI have every intention of fighting in 2018 if my compensation and business development endeavors accurately reflect my influence on combat sports.”

Related articles

Comments

Sponsors

Latest articles