Well Now… This Came Out of Nowhere… Floyd Mayweather And Conor McGregor Are Reportedly in Talks For a Rematch…
It’s over a year now since Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather fought for the ‘Money Belt’ in Las Vegas. The pair met in the boxing ring – the Irishman’s professional debut in the sport – at the T-Mobile Arena on August 26, 2017. Mayweather would win by Rd. 10 TKO.
Over the last couple of weeks, both men have been getting nostalgic over the megafight that made McGregor $100 million and Mayweather twice that figure. The promotion was insane for what was more like an exhibition than an actual competitive boxing match.
Now it looks like the two are angling to do it all over again. That’s according to Floyd Mayweather Sr, who says that the two men are in talks about a rematch. Does the world want that? No of course not. Would the world watch it? Yes definitely.
Even though the two men come from different combat sports codes, they’ve managed to maintain their very lucrative rivalry. There was a lot of speculation that Mayweather would fight McGregor under very diluted MMA rules. Basically, there would be no knees, elbows or high kicks but they would be able to clinch and wear MMA gloves.
Obviously, this is nonsense and never going to happen. However, another boxing match genuinely could. The two men have been sniping at each other over the last week. Mayweather condescendingly invited McGregor to his gym to train for the Khabib fight. The Notorious responded: “F*** the Mayweathers.”
It’s all got a little bit really when the elder Mayweather was speaking on the Helen Yee Show. He dropped a bit of an unexpected bombshell when he said:
“They are talking like him and Conor McGregor are going to fight. That’s what it sounds like. I don’t know for sure but I’m just saying the way things are sounding to me. Sounds like he (Mayweather) wants to fight again. He’ll [McGregor] fight again and show people what he can do, which is nothing.”
Well now. That is something, isn’t it?
On his Believe You Me podcast, Michael Bisping offered a neutral take on the whole back-and-forth between Mayweather and McGregor. He pretty much summed up the whole situation. Bisping said:
“I hope this isn’t the start of a rematch between Conor and Mayweather. Because Floyd this week put out some pictures on Instagram of him landing punches on Conor, saying ‘it’s the easiest $100 million I ever earned’… And you know… they went back and forth a few times and I hope they’re not going to do it again.
Of course with those guys, of course they want to do it again. Of course Mayweather wants to do it again: 51 and 0. An extra $150 milion dollars. Why not? And of course Conor’s going to do it again. But I personally just don’t want to see that. But if they want to make money, then great… and I will watch. But you know come on. We’ve seen it. It’s happened.”