The Notorious is definitely coming back… So says UFC President Dana White…
Say what you like about Conor McGregor, but the UFC is a more interesting place with him around. The Irishman might be a little bit crazy, but he’s definitely very entertaining. He’s still the single biggest draw on the roster, so the promotion will be desperate to milk him while they can.
McGregor hasn’t fought since losing to Khabib Nurmagamedov almost a year ago. Since then he’s got into trouble with the law and broken his hand. In short, it’s safe to say that 2019 hasn’t exactly gone the way he would have wanted. The controversial Irishman will be determined to turn things around with his next fight.
That fight could be sooner rather than later. UFC president Dana White has confirmed that McGregor will return over the winter period. To sum up, he’ll fight either in December or January. ‘The Notorious’ is coming back. All I want for Christman is Conor McGregor v Justin Gaethje.
In an interview with TMZ, Dana White confirmed that McGregor is looking to come back very soon. He acknowledged that the Irishman wants to fight in Dublin, but remains insistent that the Las Vegas card will go ahead on the same date. However, he is confident ‘The Notorious’ will be back by early next year. White told fans in a Twitter Q&A:
“I’m sure you saw his tweet. Conor wants to fight Dec. 14 in Dublin, but we have a fight in Vegas. So if he doesn’t fight on that card, he’ll fight early next year.”
Dublin, December 14th.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) September 16, 2019
McGregor broke the internet the other day when he tweeted: “Dublin, December 14th.” Most people interpreted this as his comeback date. However, it could also be his next day in court. If he is coming back, the big question on everybody’s lips is who will he fight?
Right now it seems like Justin Gaethje is top of his list. ‘The Highlight’ is coming off of the back of an insane win over Donald Cerrone. To recap, he knocked ‘Cowboy’ out with his brutal power, in a mature and exciting performance. Gaethje’s stock has never been higher. You can bet that he’d jump at the chance to make some big bucks against ‘The Notorious.’
One man who won’t be fighting McGregor is Jorge Masvidal. The Cuban-American is set to fight Nate Diaz in November for the BMF title. He was heavily linked to a match-up with McGregor, but that never really looked like happening. In an interview with ESPN, he explained why it fell through.
“That fight…the president deemed it not good because they don’t want a murder charge on them,” said Masvidal. “They’re not going to allow that to happen. The president himself already said it, so I don’t want to go to jail for killing nobody,” he said. “It’s not what I want to do. I’m here to compete and to keep beating people up.”
Isn’t that nice of him? Forget McGregor… this is the fight we care about.