UFC had a successful run for 2020 despite the pandemic, props to Dana White and his crew for taking a huge risk but came up on top. Although there were fighters that had tested positive for COVID, it was part of their considerations as well. It was near impossible that there will be zero COVID Positive.
Onto the next year, the UFC has booked huge fights to start the year. What bigger fight to make than a Mcgregor fight. The first PPV event for the year is UFC 257: Mcgregor vs Poirier fight. No fighter brings in more money than Mcgregor, even if it is a non-title fight, he still beats everyone and it is not even close.
There are some rumors that the Mcgregor vs Poirier could be for the vacant title that Khabib relinquished but no official announcement as of the moment. Either way, it will still be an important fight for the lightweight division.
Now here we are going to rank the biggest fights that UFC could possibly make for the year 2021 that they have not yet announced. It could be a fantasy fight for fans.
5. Colby Covington vs Jorge Masvidal will be one of those fights that have a rich history. Both fighters started as best friends who lived in the same apartment prior to becoming the best in the welterweight division. Now, they both each other due to some personal issues. Both had tried their shot against the current Champion, Kamaru Usman but failed. Although in Masvidal’s defense it was a short notice fight and his takedown defense was impressive.
Jorge Masvidal is one of the biggest stars right now, which was proven on UFC 251. The PPV buys were not that high from reports, but when Gilbert Burns was replaced by Masvidal, it became probably the biggest PPV for the year or maybe tied with the Mcgregor card. The winner of this fight could potentially fight Usman again for another shot. Colby is the second-best in the division, even Usman said so himself.
4. Zhang Weili vs Joanna Jedrzejczyk rematch may be the most exciting fight in the women’s UFC due to their first encounter. The fight had everything, both fighters showed true heart and grit. Joanna even suffered a huge hematoma in her forehead, but still went on to finish all 5 rounds.
The fight was so evenly matched that it was difficult to choose the winner. The fight could have gone either way and a rematch would likely be inevitable. So much for the smallest division in MMA has one of the most exciting fights.
As of the moment, Zhang Weili is set to face either Rose Namajunas or Carla Esparza. There were a lot of misunderstandings with the side of Namajunas that she did not want to fight for the title which Rose denied.
3. Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno rematch may be inevitable as Dana White said that they will for sure book a rematch due to the fight ending in a majority draw. Many agreed that it was the right decision.
Moreno showed heart and iron chin in the first half of the fight and got better as the fight goes on, meanwhile, Figueiredo showed that he can possess overwhelming pressure. Figueiredo landed brutal shots that would have knocked out other opponents but Moreno has that Mexican blood in him that let him stayed in the fight.
2. Khabib vs Mcgregor rematch, now in terms of the money that could be made. This fight could break all records and become the biggest UFC fight ever. In the first fight, there a lot of incidents that happened that helped build up the fight. The infamous bus dolly incident sparked social media which built the hype even more.
After Khabib submitted Mcgregor, he then attacked the teammate of Mcgregor who was Dillon Danis. It seems the feud did not end even after the fight, the bad blood is still there so it still sells. Khabib has said he is not interested in fight Mcgregor since he won easily, but the UFC may offer him an amount he cannot refuse.
1. Jon Jones vs Israel Adesanya might be the most exciting fantasy fight to make. Even when Adesanya was still rising to become the champion, both already had exchanged words. Adesanya is looking to fight for the LHW Champion against Jan Błachowicz and become a 2 division champion. Jon Jones vacated his Light-heavyweight belt to pursue to the heavyweight belt.
Jones and Adesanya are both the consensus best in their divisions and a super fight would just bring fireworks. Jones is one of the GOATs in MMA and Adesanya is still building his legacy. Will the new snatch it from the old or is Adesanya still not ready for some as good as Jones.