Conor McGregor Just Can’t Keep Out of the Headlines… Or Jail… He’s Been Released from a Miami Jail Cell After Stealing and Breaking a Fan’s Phone… Now He’s Set to Face Even More Criminal Charges…
The decline continues. You’ve got to wonder what is going through the heads of MMA fighters sometimes because it looks like Conor McGregor is trying to take Jon Jones’s crown for making poor life choices. The Irishman was arrested in the early hours of the morning in Miami for allegedly stealing and breaking the phone of a man who was trying to take a picture of him.
McGregor has been involved in a whole host of legal situations in the past. Most infamously he was arrested for his role in the UFC 223 bus attack, throwing a dolly at a media bus conveying a host of fighters to their hotel. He spent the night in a Brooklyn precinct cell and has been facing lawsuits ever since. The Irishman has also been banned from driving in Ireland.
Watch the footage of McGregor’s most recent release from the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center. He strides out of the building like a mafia don, in what is quite dramatic footage. Enjoy as we keep you posted for further updates.
Conor McGregor was swarmed by media while leaving a correctional facility in Miami after being arrested earlier today. pic.twitter.com/RrRuyD1pnb
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) March 12, 2019
Unlike earlier in his alleged incident, McGregor looks the picture of calm as he is escorted out of the Miami jail. He allegedly took the phone of a 22-year-old man who tried to take a picture of him outside the Fontainebleau Hotel. According to the alleged victim, ‘The Notorious’ reacted badly by snatching it from him and trying to break it.
He said that it was worth $1000. McGregor was arrested for his alleged role in the incident at a residency in Miami following a complaint to the police. He was held and then released on bond of $12,500 after being charged with public mischief and strong-armed robbery. He faces another day in court for the offences.
WATCH: Footage from moments ago as MMA star #ConorMcGregor leaves jail in Miami-Dade County. He was arrested earlier today after allegedly smashing a man's phone and taking it. Read the latest here: https://t.co/EdMPjTYBMp pic.twitter.com/hDASDqwV3C
— CBS4 Miami (@CBSMiami) March 12, 2019
Earlier in the evening, McGregor’s lawyer Samuel Rabin released a statement about his client’s situation. As you would expect, the counsellor wasn’t giving much away. He told assembled media:
“Last evening Conor McGregor was involved in a minor altercation over a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation.”
McGregor himself has yet to make any statement about the alleged incident. It sounds like he might have drunk a bit too much of his Proper 12 whiskey.
According to online records, Conor McGregor has been arrested in Miami. Miami Herald reports McGregor is being accused of breaking a fan’s phone. pic.twitter.com/JW1UzhniVy
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) March 11, 2019
McGregor remains easily the biggest star on the UFC roster. The Irishman is the former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion. The biggest moment of his career so far was a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather, which catapulted him into the mainstream and made him his fortune.
He has been linked to a return in 2019 against Donald Cerrone, although no deal has been made as of yet. While he undoubtedly possesses charisma, he’s also a volatile character prone to moments of madness like this alleged incident.